VelScope Cancer Screening
Oral Cancer Kills One Person Every Hour,
24 Hours A Day in the United States
- Oral cancer is the sixth most common cancer in males in the U.S.
- Unlike several other cancers, the survival rate for oral cancer has remained unchanged for decades
- The overall 5-year survival rate for oral cancer is 52%, but when discovered early, it increases to over 80%
- Unfortunately, only 35% of oral cancer cases are diagnosed in the early stages. Why? Because there have been few advances and techniques and there are significant limitations inherent to white light and chemiluminescence light examination of the oral mucosa
- Pre-malignant changes actually start below the surface, at the basement membrane. These changes may not be apparent to the naked eye until the disease progresses to the surface
Fluorescence Visualization Technology
A new tool for oral mucosal examination VELscope is a revolutionary hand-held device that provides dentists and hygienists with an easy-to-use adjunctive mucosal examination system for the early detection of abnormal tissue.